The pandemic required America’s teachers and children to operate in a completely virtual environment for many months during the 2020-2021 school years. The difficulties of remote learning were felt across the country and reinforced a major obstacle that has challenged our education system for a long time: students without access to broadband in their homes.
For families that live below the poverty line or in rural communities without broadband, finding and affording internet access can be difficult. The gap between the classroom and broadband for all is still lingering for many students. Remote learning has applications year-round: summer school, remedial work, and weather events that can close schools – to name a few ways it can be used.
Now, even as schools gear up to go back to the classroom in the fall of 2021, many families will opt to maintain virtual participation and students will need to access their homework and school materials online. Without access to broadband, millions of children will continue to fall dramatically behind in learning. It’s often referred to as the #homeworkgap.
SpectraRep is actively working to overcome broadband access problems with its EduCast datacasting service. Datacasting turns a portion of the public television spectrum into a secure wireless data network that can deliver assignments and course materials over the air.
For students, EduCast gives them at-home access to instructional materials through reliable broadcast transmissions without needing an internet connection. For teachers, it gives them the ability to broadcast instructional content directly from their computer to a student’s Chromebook or tablet.
“Our EduCast solution is touching thousands of students across the nation. As we continue to deploy the technology, it’s inspiring to see how EduCast is leveling the educational playing field.”
Mark O’Brien, SpectraRep CEO.
Learn more now:
- How EduCast makes distance learning available to families without broadband
- How the South Carolina Department of Education is exploring the use of EduCast’s datacasting technology for education
- How the new CARES Act offers funding for school systems trying to tackle distance learning challenges.
- Partnership with US antenna manufacturer Winegard to use Flatwave Amped indoor antennas to deliver network connectivity
- Watch the Datacasting video series on our YouTube page
- Sign up for our mailing list